Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Inappropriate Baby Songs???


Every time that Jack and I are at Auntie Carly’s house we have a great time; she makes awesome dinners, gives tones of cuddles to Jack, and always has a fun baby song to sing about animals, gardens and teddy bears, knees and toes etc. Each time she sings them I try SO hard to make a mental note to remember them but I never do...


No, no, every time that Jack and I are so close to home after I have pushed him just that extra 30 minutes between feedings (see picture below) my mind goes completely blank.


(Jack losing his mind)


Well, not completely blank, I do always come up with the following four songs to soothe my young baby:

· Bust a Move – Young MC

· 99 Problems – Jay Z

· Pants on the Ground – that old guy from American Idol

· Tik Tok – Kesha (Side Bar, the misspelling of Tik Tok drives me insane, what does this girl have against the letter “C”?)


Determined not to feel like a bad mum for singing said “inappropriate songs” to my eight week old baby, I have decided to dissect the lyrics and find the obvious, positive messages in each of the four songs in our repertoire.


Bust a Move – Young MC

Original Lyrics - Girl starts walkin, guys start gawkin, sits down next to you and starts talkn, says she wanna dance cus she likes the groove, so come one fatso and just bust a move.


Positive Translation – The girls sit next to boys that are not gawking – aka be nice to women and do not objectify them.


99 Problems – Jay Z

Original Lyrics – If you’re havin girl problems I feel bad for you son, I’ve got 99 problems but a b**ch ain’t one.


Positive Translation – You can have all of the problems in the world but as long as you have a nice girl to love you (when you are 30), you can take on any adversity.


Pants on the Ground – that old guy from American Idol

Original Lyrics – Pants on the ground, pants on the ground, lookin like a FOOL with your pants on the ground.


Positive Translation – Wear a belt


Tik Tok – Kesha

Original Lyrics

Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy

Before I leave brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack cause when I leave for the night I ain’t coming back

Aint got no care in the world but got plenty of beer, Ain’t got no money in my pocket but I’m already here.

Put your hands up....?


Positive Translation – n/a